1) Obesity can cause cancer as much as smoking cigarettes. A recent study found that being extremely over weight or obese contributes to around 30% of all cancer deaths. This is the same statistic for smoking tobacco. It is believed there are more inflammatory cells and free radicals present in over weight individuals, which can then lead to DNA damage and start the cancerous changes.
2) So what can help? You may hear about them all the time, but there is no denying that antioxidants and anti-inflammatory molecules are little miracle workers. Some great examples are ginger, purple carrots, turmeric, boswellia, berries, black tea, green tea and omega 3 fatty acids, such as found in chia seeds, salmon, tuna, sardines, and mackerel.
3) Could simple stress stop your chances of falling pregnant? Yes, it absolutely could. Couples are increasingly trying to fall pregnant, taking all the right supplements, doing the diets, even doing IVF but without success. What has been found is long term stress suppresses a woman’s reproductive hormones- so pave your way to success and de-stress.
4) A study published in The Cambridge Journals reveals that eating berries, such as bilberries, cranberries, strawberries, and black currants can all reduce the absorption of sugar. This is a great discovery, possibly meaning that if a sugary food is eaten, berries can be consumed near it to decrease the amount of calories given to the body.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Honor Tremain - Nutritionist and Health Writer
Honor is a qualified naturopathic Nutritionist and health writer. She is very passionate about nutrition and health, and has been working in the field for almost 20 years. Honor is the head nutrition writer for the multi-national Fitness First magazine, which won best app for an iPhone & tablet device in 2011 for the ‘Magazine excellence awards’. Honor also has her own ‘Ask Honor’ column and weekly health article in the APN newspapers for The Fraser Coast Chronicle and Observer in QLD. She designs weight loss meals and menu’s for Sydney based food manufacturer Core Food Concepts. Honor has lectured and supervised the Nutritional medicine students at one of Sydney’s largest Natural therapies college’s- Nature Care College. You can follow her and many of her articles on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/HonorTremain
- ORGANIC, FINALLY PROVEN TO BE BETTER
The debate over whether organic food or conventional food is better for you is finally over. Researchers from England...
- SPRING DETOX
Spring time, detox time We are in the midst of delicious spring, and it’s one of the best times of year to do a bod...
- TIPS FOR STAYING HEALTHY WHEN TRAVELLING
Travel does not mean compromising healthy habits! ‘If it is important to you, you will find a way, If is not you will...